Interventional Cardiology Fellowship
Fellowship in Interventional Cardiology at the prestigious Institut Cardiovasculaire Paris Sud, Paris, France (2002-2003) under Dr. Marie Claude Morice.
- Trained in complex coronary interventions.
- Trained in Transradial approach in France under Dr.Thierry Lefevre and Dr.Yves Louvard – as a primary operator done more than 3000 radial procedures including more than 500 transradial interventions including Complex PCI.
- Coronary interventions including bifurcation lesions, left main, ostial, multi-vessel, bypass graft interventions, primary angioplasty in acute myocardial infarctions, renal artery interventions and femoral site closure devices.
- Magnetic resonance Imaging in cardiac evaluation.
Advanced Interventional Cardiology – Formal Training & Experience
- Coronary : As a primary operator done more than 20,000 procedures of which more than 90% are radial procedures.
- Complex PCI’s including Primary PCI’s, Ostial lesions, Bifurcation lesions, Left main, Chronic total Occlusions, Vein grafts, Small vessel stenting and Multivessel disease done by Radial approach.
- Highly experienced in Intra coronary FFR and Imaging – OCT& IVUS.
- Dedicated bifurcation stents, Complex Bifurcation Stenting, Left Main etc.
- Highly experienced in Rotablation, flextrome, Angiosculpt devices
- Drug eluting balloons, ISR management
- Highly experienced in implantation of Bioresorbable scaffolds – Absorb, Meres 100
- Rotablation – Formal training in the basic techniques of Rotablation atherectomy with experience in more than 100 Rota cases
- FFR Dr Chang, Malaysia, June 27-29, 2012.
- Imaging – OCT/IVUS Workshop in Apollo Hospitals
- Training in Renal Sympathetic Denervation for Resistant Hypertension – Trend Workshop – Hong Kong – 2011
- BVS (Bioresorbable vascular scaffold) & OCT – Thorax Centre – Rotterdam, Netherlands Feb 2013
- Mitral clip training and initiation – Jan 2019
- Impella training 2019
- RFR. DFR, High Defention IVUS 2019
Transcatheter Aortic Valve Implantation (TAVR)
- Team Approach to TAVI – Training programme,Nov 5th & 6th 2013 at Tolusenez, Switzerland.
- Hands on Training 0n TAVR in ICPS Massy, under Dr Marie Claude Morice, Dr Thierry Lefevre and Dr Bernard Chevalier – performed 15 cases with Medtronic Core Valve and Edwards Sapien 3 valves – May 2015
- Evolut R Certification Programme, New Delhi Dec 2015
- Edwards Sapien 3 Training, Cidar-Senai Hospital Los Angeles, November 2016.
- Advanced TAVR workshop, Dr Caskey New Delhi 2017
Transcatheter Mitral Valve Repair
- Percutaneous Mitral Repair
- Mitral Clip First series of cases performed in April 2019 with the guidance of Dr Sibal Kor from Cidar Senai hospitals, Los Angeles USA world renowned expert on Mitraclip
- Transcatheter Pulmonary Valve Implantation, Transcatheter Tricuspid Valve Implantation. Has performed transcatheter interventions for all valves – aortic, mitral, tricuspid and pulmonary valves.
- Started Mitral clip therapy since Jan 2019
Interventional Cardiology Teaching
As associate professor in cardiology, significantly contributed to Post-graduate teaching and conduct of examination. He has immensely contributed to training of post graduate students ( DM and DNB cardiology) in cardiology and also particularly hands on skills in coronary angiogram and intervention. He has been a research guide for several post graduate students and helped to successfully complete them.
He has made extraordinary contribution to postgraduate education during his tenure as the state secretary of interventional council, during which he strengthened the academic platform by conducting hands on workshop, small group learning and live case demonstrations.
In the annual meeting for the first time he introduced hands on simulator training for DM (cardiology) postgraduates for various interventional procedures. For the first time, he introduced “Abstract Submissions” in interventional council meeting to encourage original research among post graduates. Best paper was awarded.
- IPCI training course : We conduct quarterly training courses for group of 10-15 interventional cardiologists from all over India on Intra coronary Imaging & physiology.
- Faculty Coordinator : Medstep Program – 2 day program for Cardiologists, Mumbai
- Cathlab Technician Training – Apollo Hospitals, Hotel Sabari Inn
- Faculty in TACVI, Hyderabad – lectures and Live cases to train young interventional Cardiologists
- Meenakshi Medical Mission RACI (Regional academy of Cardiac Interventions) Meeting – Live demonstration of Clearway Catheter
- Live demonstration – Southern railway hospital, Chennai
- Indo French meeting, JIPMER Hospitals, Pondicherry – Live demonstration of Bioresorbable vascular scaffold implantation
- Live demonstration – Apollo Hospitals, Bangalore
- Course faculty –SCAI, Fellows Course Asia, Sept 30-Oct 2, New Delhi
- Live demonstrations – Medtronic bifurcation summit, Chennai, Madurai
- Live IVUS workshop, Pune
- Live demonstration – Apollo Hospitals, Trichy
- Live demonstration – Kaveri Hospital, Trichy
- UN Mehta Institute OCT workshop, Ahmedabad, Gujarat
- Live demonstrations during TIC 2015, 2016
- Live in Box – NIC 2016
- Hyderabad live – Live demonstration
- India Live 2017- Live demonstration
- Live Demonstration – OCT and IVUS, Banaras Hindu University,Varanasi August 2017
- TIC 2018 – Live TAVR demonstration Evolut R
- India Live 2018 – Live TAVR demonstration Sapien 3
- Live demonstration and complex coronary workshop, dept of cardiology, Government general hospital, Chennai April 2018
- IPCI 2018 – Live demonstration of RFR for the first time in India
- Live demonstration –OCT guided Complex PCI, SRM 14th December 2018
- TIC 2019 – Live complex TAVR demonstration
- India Live2019 – Live TAVR demonstration with MYVAL
- NIC 2019 – First time in India Mitral clip shown Live
- CIT Live, Meril Academy, Vapi TAVI case 14th June 2019
- IPCI 2019 – Live demonstration of DFR, Hi definition, IVUS, Optivue OCT software and pull back RFR for the first time in India
- TAVI training to physicians, Meril First Certification programme, Vapi, 12th January 2019
- India valves 2019 – Live demonstration of TMVR with Sapien 3 and two TAVR with Myval and Evolut R.
- One of the highly experienced TAVR operators in India with experience in Medtronic Core Valve, Evolut R and Evolut PRO Valves, Edwards Sapien 3 Valves and Indian Myval.
- Performed the first TAVR in the Apollo group of Hospitals in 2015
- Performed Evolut Pro Valve TAVR in Bicuspid aortic Valve for the first time in India.
- First in India to treat Rheumatic Aortic Stenosis with Transcatheter Aortic Valve
- First in South India to do Edwards Sapien 3 Valve
- First in South India to implant Evolut PRO Valve
- 91-year-old high risk patient is India’s oldest post CABG patient to undergo a successful TAVR procedure
- Performed India’s first next-day-discharge after TAVR
Use of Newer Therapies / Devices
- New Devices in Primary PCI – M guard, Clear way Catheter
- Dedicated bifurcation stent
- Drug eluting balloons
- FFR – Over 200 case done using IV / IC Adenosine
- OCT ( using contrast & Dextan) – Different subsets
- Training in Renal Sympathetic Denervation for Resistant Hypertension – Trend Workshop – Hong Kong – 2011
Teaching UG – 26 Years
Teaching PG – 23 Years
Research – 29 Years
Professional Memberships / Positions
- Indian Medical Association
- Association of Physicians of India
- Cardiological Society of India
- Society for Coronary Angiography & Interventions
- Indian Academy of Echocardiography
- Asia Pacific Society for Interventional Cardiology
- Member, British Cardio Vascular society
- Workshop on Left Main PCI – Dr.MarcSilvestri from University of Marsailles, France
- First Indo Japanese CTO course held at SRMC & RI in Nov 2005 with Prof. Masahiko Ochiai as course director and Counsel General of Japan Mr.Y. Kodaki as the chief guest held at Harvard auditorium, SRMC & RI, Chennai in 20th Nov 2005.
- CTO Workshop in Apollo Hospitals – 1st August, 2013, Feb 2017.
- Tamil Nadu Interventional Council Annual Conference at Chennai 2014-2016
- IVUS workshop – Bangladesh physicians
- OCT workshop with Dr. Lino on 18th April 2016
- Update on Percutaneous Valve Therapies, Chennai April 2017.
- Quarterly IPCI physician training program for physicians
- TIC 2015 and 2016
- National IPCI 2018, 2019
- India Valves – National transcatheter valve course – 2019
- Actively involved with PCR on its educational activities and is a member of VITAL (visionary transformative adult learning) group
- Officially invited to grade abstracts and case submissions Asia PCR 2016 -18
- Officially invited to grade case submissions India Live 2015-18
- Officially invited to grade abstracts and case submissions PCR Tokyo Valves 2018
- Officially invited to grade abstracts and case submissions Euro PCR 2018
- Journal reviewer : Asia Intervention
- Journal reviewer : Indian Heart journal
- Journal reviewer : CCI journal
Procedures Performed for the First Time
International / National
- Bifurcation with two Absorb scaffolds using TAP technique done for the first time in the world
- India’s first next-day-discharge after TAVR was achieved at Apollo Hospitals,Greams Road,Chennai – Feb 2017
- India’s first TAVR done with carotid protection
- First time in India TAVR done for Rheumatic AS
- A 91-year-old, high risk patient is India’s oldest post-bypass surgery patient to undergo a successful TAVR procedure.
- 1st in India to use Absorb Bioabsorbable Vascular Scaffold -December 2012.
- India’s first successful TAVR with evolut pro valve in bicuspid aortic valve.
- India’ s first balloon expandable pulmonary valve implantation.
- India first DFR resting physiology assessment
- HD IVUS – First time in India
- Evolut pro valve deployed for the first time in South India.
- South India’s first Edwards Sapien -3 implant was performed in a 74-year-old patient. Dec 2017
- 1st in South/Central India to use Opticross Intravascular Ultrasound Systems,
- 1st in South India to use Clearway catheter in primary angioplasty in Acute MI,
- 1 st in South India to use Minvasys Dedicated Bifurcation stent system.
Tamil Nadu/ Regional
- 1st in Chennai to use M guard Stent Technology,
- 1 st successful Transcatheter aortic valve replacement (TAVR) for aortic valve stenosis in Tamil Nadu
- 1 st TAVR in the Apollo group,
- Youngest and oldest patient treated with TAVR in India.
- 1 st TAVR in women in Tamil Nadu
Preventive Cardiology And Contributions To Society
He has been very active campaigner of prevention of Cardiovascular disease and increase awareness among general public and the medical community on early detection and timely management of ACS patients. He has conducted several public camps, delivered lectures,conducted quiz programmes for post graduates, emergency physicians in acute coronary syndrome aiming to improve door to balloon time in primary PCI.
He started a non- profit organisation GSHF which was primarily involved in spreading awareness on cardio vascular disease and conducting cardiac screening camps. He organised several lectures on prevention and life style changes to public, corporates and students. He has conducted exhibitions focusing on cardiac disease and prevention. Involving the rotary clubs, he conducted many lectures with renowned speakers from abroad, screening camps and health walk with Union health minister as the chief guest. In the large screening camps several patients with new diabetes and hypertension were identified and treated. Few patients with congenital heart disease were given free surgical treatment and several patients (both congenital and acquired) with heart disease were guided appropriate therapy. He conducted healthy life style workshops where participants were counselled on diet, exercise and stress reduction and model diet given. His organisation is also involved in conducting weekly classes on meditation, yoga and diet.Given talks in several organistions such as AIWA,MCC, Apollo elders associations, delivered lectures on prevention, authored articles, conducted workshops, camps, programs on meditation,screening camps and launch of lifestyle mobile APP launch. Risk score based on artificial intelligence is being developed out to screen large populations to detect heart disease early in the community.