Dr. G. Sengottuvelu after completing his MBBS from Madras Medical College, Internal Medicine, DM and DNB in Cardiology, did his fellowship in interventional cardiology in a world-renowned centre in Paris, France. He is presently senior consultant and Interventional Cardiologist in Apollo Hospitals, Greams Road, Chennai.
Research & Publications
Dr.G.Sengottuvelu has very high academic track record with publications in highly reputed peer reviewed journals with high impact factor which itself places him with unique distinction compared to his peers. His work has been accepted and published in World-renowned journals including Journal of American College of Cardiology, Journal of American College of Cardiology-interventions, European Heart Journal, Eurointervention, Catheterisation and Cardiovascular Interventions, Heart, cardiologyLung and Circulation etc…He is actively involved in research and has over 90 publications and has contributed in authoring several text books.
He has been the Principal Investigator for many clinical trials & has presented several papers in several national and international cardiological societies including the Cardiological Society of India (CSI), Trans-Catheter Therapeutics (TCT), American Heart Association (AHA) and American College of Cardiology (ACC).
1 st successful Transcatheter aortic valve replacement (TAVR) for aortic valve stenosis in Tamil Nadu, 1 st TAVR in the Apollo group, Youngest and oldest patient treated with TAVR in India,1 st TAVR in women in Tamil Nadu, 1st in South/Central India to use Opticross Intravascular Ultrasound Systems,1st in India to use Absorb Bioabsorbable Vascular Scaffold . (December 2012), 1st in South India to use Clearway catheter in primary angioplasty in Acute MI, 1st in Chennai to use M guard Stent Technology, 1 st in South India to use Minvasys Dedicated Bifurcation stent system.
He is an active member of several organisations and currently in the Executive Committee the Doctors Club.
- Clinical decision making& management of cardiac outpatients and inpatients
- Acute care management of [coronary care in ICCU] cardiac patients.
- Echocardiographic examinations including Trans thoracic, trans-esophageal, stress and three dimensional echocardiography in adults and pediatric patients, stress tests and Holter evaluations.
- Cardiac catheterizations, coronary angiograms, pacemakers, & cardiac interventional procedures
- Diagnostic coronary angiograms in native and post bypass saphenous and mammary graft situations
- Formal training in the basic techniques of coronary angioplasties with experience in more than 1000 PTCA’s and more than 6000 coronary stenting in denovo, restenotic and post bypass graft and renal interventions.
- Use of IABP and pacing in emergency situations
- Use of devices such as the cutting balloon rotational atherectomy, flexicath directional atherectomy etc
- Use of distal protection systems such as angioguard, Percusurge, cardioshield in saphenous graft and acute coronary interventions
- Experience in non-coronary interventions such as alcohol septal ablation in hypertrophic obstructive cardiomyopathy .
Areas of Specialization
- TAVI (TAVR)
- PCI and Stenting
- Primary PCI ( Acute heart attack)
- Bifurcation angioplasty
- Post bypass angioplasty
- Cutting ballon
- drug eluting balloon
- Trans radial procedures
- CTO – Chronic Total Occlusions
- Left main interventions
- Bio absorbable stents
- OCT -Optical Coherence Tomography
- IVUS – Intra Vascular Ultrasound
- FFR – Fractional Flow Reserve
Adjunct Professor,The Tamilnadu Dr MGR Medical university
Society for Angiography and Interventions (USA)
Board Member -Asia Pacific Society of Interventional cardiac (APSIC)
Cardiological Society Of India
American College Of Physicians
British Cardiovascular Society
– Sri Ramachandra Hospital
– Apollo Hospitals
At Bangalore, India
– Manipal Hospital
– Jayadeva hospital
Other Places in India
– Kasturba Hospital, Manipal
– U N Mehta InsCardiology, Ahmedabad
– Institut Jacques Cartier,France
– Hospital Claude Galien, Quincy, France
Public Activities Organized
- Organized Public Walk commemorating the World Heart Day 2006 with Union Health minister as chief guest in Marina, Chennai on 23 rd Sep 2006.
- Special Lecture on Beating Heart Disease Epidemic – Empowering the Public by Dr.Enas.A.Enas, University of Illinois, USA organised in Music Academy in December 2007 as a joint meeting with several Rotary Clubs of Chennai.
- Several campus, Lectures on Heart disease Prevention & Management.
- Organized First Indo Japanese CTO course held at Sri Ramachandra Hospital with Prof. Masahiko Ochiai from Japan as course director and Counsel General of Japan Mr.Y. Kodaki as the chief guest held at Harvard auditorium, SRMC & RI, Chennai in 20 th Nov 2005.
- Workshop on Left Main Stenosis with Dr.Marc Silvestri from University of Marsailles, France.
- As secretary, Organised TIC meeting in 2015 and 2016 with didatic lectures, Live case transmissions, Quiz program and Hands on workshop with invlovement of several national and international faculties.